The cornerstone of any road trip is great music. The right song can inspire and get everyone singing at the top of their lungs. It doesn’t matter the genre, the era, or who wrote it, there are some songs that were undeniably made for driving.
Top Five Road Trip Playlist: The Essentials
Just imagine cruising down a back road with the windows down and the wind in your hair. As soon as the perfect song starts, you're free to sing along with all you've got!
Here are a dozen contenders for every top five road trip playlist:
- “On the Road Again” by Willie Nelson – This classic from the one-and-only Willie Nelson is a perfect way to kick things off. It’s catchy, easy to sing to, and the name says it all.
- “Waltz Across Texas” by Ernest Tubb – Tubb’s mellow country twang and gently strumming guitar make this country classic perfect for driving, no matter what state you’re waltzing across.
- “Another Travelin’ Song” by Bright Eyes – This song was made for driving. The beat is infectious, the guitars rock, and it feels like it was written as tribute to that moment when the rubber meets the road.
- “Don’t Stop Believin’” by Journey – As soon as that piano kicks in, you know it's time to let it rip. Whether you're driving up and down the boulevard or across the country, this anthem is a must-have in any road adventure playlist.
- “Hit the Road Jack” by Ray Charles – Hopefully you’re not hitting the road for the reasons Ray is singing about, but you should at least have this classic on your playlist.
- “Graceland” by Paul Simon – The pulsating bass guitar and Paul Simon’s golden voice make "Graceland" a road trip playlist staple.
- “My Own Worst Enemy” by Lit – If you’re a nineties kid, this song probably brings back happy memories. If you’re not, all you have to do is listen to it once and you’ll be hooked. It rocks, it’s catchy, and it adds an edgy energy to any playlist.
- “Sweet Home Alabama” by Lynyrd Skynyrd – How can you not love belting out this song as soon as it comes on, even if you can’t sing? Everyone knows at least the chorus of this all-American classic.
- “Ramblin’ Man,” The Allman Brothers – The Allman Brothers' timeless sound makes for a perfect backdrop as the miles roll by. Open windows, setting sun, and your destination somewhere on the horizon — it’s good to be ramblin’.
- “The Distance” by Cake – It's a unique, interesting, and catchy song that evokes race car imagery. In true Cake fashion, this song is rhythmic and funky, and is about as good as car songs get.
- “Drive My Car” by The Beatles – It’s positive and uplifting, it’s about cars, and it's The Beatles. Need we say more?
- “I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles)” by The Proclaimers – Easily one of The Proclaimers most famous hits, "I’m Gonna Be" has incredibly sing-able lyrics, a great beat, and you get to showcase your fake Scottish accent to your road trip buddies.
Looking for more songs for your playlist? Check out this great article from TimeOut New York.
Keeping the Trip Fun
No matter how solid your playlist is, having your car breakdown halfway through your journey can put a damper on your whole adventure. It pays to clean your car, keep up with regular maintenance, and invest in an extended warranty plan.
PMC’s versatile Ambassador Policy, which covers most cars regardless of year or mileage, was created for that very purpose. Not only will you benefit from free oil changes, roadside assistance, and rental car reimbursement, your road trip will be all the more relaxing thanks to the peace of mind a warranty provides.
Get Your Playlist Ready and Hit The Road
When road trip season hits, you’ll want to be ready to jump in the car and head out on an adventure. Put in the time to create a perfect playlist and keep your car protected with an extended warranty from Protect My Car.