When it comes to buying a new car, brand new isn’t always the best way to go. You can find used cars in great condition with low mileage and maintenance records at a lower price than cars fresh off the lot. Yes, new cars have that new car smell, but you can always buy a great air freshener with the money you’ll save from buying a used car.
Backing up your purchase with the best extended warranty for used cars is a safe way to cover yourself and your ride for less than the price of a new car.
Plenty of Cars Need Good Homes
The land of nice, clean, low-mileage used cars is plentiful. There’s no reason to spend a small fortune on a brand new car when you can find exactly what you’re looking for in a used car. The lower price tag is nice too. Paying sticker price for a new car isn’t worth it — seriously, after driving the car off of the lot, it loses significant value.
On average, a new car loses 10 percent of its value in the first month by just sitting in your driveway. After only one year, the car loses 20 percent. Take off another 10 percent each year for the next four years, and you’re left with a five-year-old car that's worth 60 percent less than what you paid for it.
This is where a good used car comes in. With a used car, you aren’t paying for the tax, title, license fees, dealership fees, or a commission on that higher price. You’re getting more for your money right from the start.
What to Look For
Before you begin your search for the perfect used car, there are specific things you should look for:
- Check out the list of cars under “Lemon Laws” so you can cross those makes and models off your list. Used cars aren’t covered under Lemon Laws, so you could get stuck with a dud and have no legal protection.
- Take your potential new used car for a test drive. Make sure you like the vehicle and it doesn’t have any obvious issues while operating, like squealing breaks or odd engine sounds.
- Don’t be afraid to test out all of the features on the car such as the sound system, camera, windows, Bluetooth, etc.
- Have a trusted mechanic do an inspection on the car. A trained mechanic can spot many issues that you wouldn’t even think to look for.
- Run a vehicle history report and check that the VIN number matches the entire car.
- Check the body of the vehicle for dents, scratches, and rust. These could be signs of a previous accident.
- Compare the mileage to other vehicles of the same make and model to make sure the asking price is comparable.
- Perform a leak test by parking the car on a clean surface and allowing it to run for a minute. Look for any fluids on the ground that could indicate a leak, which can be a symptom of a major issue.
Extended Warranty Companies Help Cover Your Used Car
After doing your research and finding a vehicle you love, find the best extended warranty for used cars to further cover yourself. Protect My Car offers three different plans to ensure you get as close to that new car feeling as possible. Buying a used car can be a great experience, but if there are hidden issues, having extended warranty coverage can be the difference between low-cost repairs and being left out in the cold.
Travel with peace of mind that an emergency service or repair won’t end up causing your used car to cost as much as a new one. There are plenty of extended warranty companies out there, but Protect My Car is rated as one of the best.
Extended Warranty for Used Cars
Buying a used car, along with an extended warranty from Protect My Car, can help you save major cash over buying a new car. Besides the new car depreciation, buying used can allow you to afford all the bells and whistles you want at a much lower initial price.
Adding an extended warranty from Protect My Car further ensures your confidence on the road as you enjoy your new used car and the savings in your wallet.