Most auto manufacturers offer a basic warranty coverage which covers repairs for three years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. Sounds great, right? But when you take a look at your Vehicles Lifespan and how long most vehicle parts last, you’re more likely to encounter vehicle repair issues after that warranty has expired. It’s often after your manufacturer warranty ends that your vehicle begins to show signs of wear and tear. Four of the five most common vehicle repairs are related to durability and your vehicles lifespan might not be as great as you think.
We did some research on the average vehicles lifespan for vehicle parts and the average cost to replace those parts to illustrate this (note: these figures will vary based on the model and size of your vehicle):
- Engine Belts – 40,000 to 60,000 miles
- Average repair cost: $350 - $500
- Mufflers & Exhaust Pipes – 50,000 to 80,000 miles
- Average repair cost: $150-$200
- Fuel Filter – 30,000 to 40,000 miles
- Average repair cost: $100-$150
- Radiator Hoses – 40,000 to 60,000 miles
- Average repair cost: $125-$160
- Clutch for a Manual Transmission – 40,000 to 60,000 miles
- Average repair cost: $675 - $900
- Disc Brake Pads – 30,000 to 40,000 miles
- Average repair cost: $250 - $500 per axle
- Drum Brake Shoes – 30,000 to 40,000 miles
- Average repair cost: $250 - $500
For most of these common car repair problems, your manufacturer’s warranty will likely be long gone and you could be stuck with a big repair bill. Another important fact to consider is that most manufacturer warranties only cover the powertrain, while an extended auto warranty covers the entire engine.
The costs to keep your vehicle on the road and running properly can add up quickly if you don’t have the right coverage. What’s not reflected in the figures above is the mental stress and frustration of dealing with a car that won’t get you where you want to go as well as the impact on your bank account. No one likes standing on the side of the road beside a broken down vehicle waiting for a tow truck and even fewer people like spending hundreds of dollars at an auto repair shop.
An extended auto warranty will give you the peace of mind beyond the initial three years of your dealer warranty. Extended auto warranty coverage from Protect My Car gives you more than just coverage on your vehicle parts. Our plans also include 24/7 roadside assistance and rental car reimbursement. When you choose an extended auto warranty plan from us, you can drive with confidence knowing your car is protected.